Waldlaw Blog

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Anna Nicole Smith and the Paternity Battle over her Baby

Headline news: Anna Nicole Smith just dropped dead in Florida at the age of 39. Sad, no? Not that I've ever given two hoots about Anna Nicole Smith, but to die at 39 really is very sad. And what's even more sad is that she leaves behind a baby girl, born September 7 in the Bahamas, and an ugly paternity battle. From everything I've read about the situation, it appears that Anna's ex-boyfriend is claiming paternity of the child; but that Anna named her attorney as the father and ran off with him to the Bahamas and entered into an unofficial marriage with him there. It appears probable that the boyfriend is, in fact, the biological father. My question is: is that really what matters most at this point?? Here is a 5 month old baby whose mother has just died. Frankly, I don't think her biological paternity is what matters the most to her right now. What she needs -- and needs RIGHT NOW -- is someone to love her and feed her and bathe her and take care of her. And that "someone" could be her genetic father or a friend or a lawyer or ... you get my point. What I'm very curious to see, now that this whole mess is no longer going to be about ANNA but is truly going to be about baby Dannielynn, is whether these two men are going to continue fighting for this baby. I mean, speculation for some time has been that Anna named her lawyer as the father to try to get her ex-boyfriend out of her life. But now she's dead. (Sorry, I don't mean to be callous, but she IS dead, right?) So as I said, it's not about her anymore. I hope, for Dannielynn's sake, that at least ONE of these two potential fathers continues to fight for her now that Anna is dead. And frankly, I would be glad to see her with the one who wants her the most and shows himself the best able to provide her with the care she needs, regardless of biological paternity. Biology is not destiny, is it? Anyway, right now there's a baby to take care of....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home