Waldlaw Blog

Thursday, September 01, 2005

The Marriage Equality Debate/the Wonders of Modern Technology

Happy September!! As I write, I am sitting in front of my computer listening to the California State Senate debate AB 849, the Civil Marriage and Religious Freedom Protection Act. Shiela Kuehl has just stood up to speak on the bill, and I can hear the emotion in her voice. What a historic moment for California, for our state legislature to be debating legalizing marriage equality by vote. The passions run high on both sides of the issue -- those opposed speaking their deeply felt religious opposition; those in favor speaking their deeply felt commitments to civil rights and the separation of church and state. I have no way to predict the outcome, but it is amazing to hear the issue debated with such honesty and passion. I'll keep you posted.... And while I'm busy being amazed, let me note: in the last week, I've discovered a whole new world in my computer. I downloaded Skype (www.skype.com), an internet telephony system that enables me to speak computer-to-computer with my mother-in-law in Costa Rica anytime we both are on-line, for free. So now, my computer periodically rings (who knew computers could ring???) with loved ones calling, and here I am this morning listening live to a debate on the Senate floor without leaving the comfort of my office. Will wonders never cease?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home