Waldlaw Blog

Friday, June 23, 2006

It's Summer

I can't believe it's been 2 weeks since I've blogged. My apologies to my loyal readers. The last two weeks have been something of a whirlwind, with kids finishing school and Little League ending, and work, work, work, and beautiful weather to enjoy for a change!! As my kids get settled into summer vacation mode, I have been reflecting a lot on the meaning of Summer Vacation for adults. My 10-year-old is very clear about what summer vacation means: it means he can watch TV whenever he wants, make amazing messes and not have to clean them up, stay up way later than usual -- at least that's his interpretation. Whenever my partner or I ask him to do anything he doesn't want to do, he stares us straight in the eye with his most serious and intense glare and says, in a loud, clear voice: "IT'S SUMMER." So, to my 10-year-old, SUMMER apparently means that he can do whatever he wants whenever he wants with no consequences, and adults be damned. But what does summer mean to me?? It means a few absolutely gorgeous warm evenings, like we had earlier this week, when we can not only barbeque in the back yard but we can enjoy a glass of wine and dinner in our garden, with citronella candles burning on the table to set the mood and keep the mosquitos away. It means more time with my children, and more time with my children playing outdoors and riding our bicycles and going to (mostly bad) summer movies instead of worrying about homework and such. It means family vacations. And, this summer, it means a surge in my caseload, with many new adoptions and pregnancies and other interesting family events to ponder and celebrate. The legal landscape for contemporary families is getting more and more complex and fascinating. It keeps me occupied not just in terms of my time, but also in terms of my "mindspace." I love the twists and turns that my work takes me through -- I love the variety of families I see, and the thought and creativity that my clients put into making their sometimes complex choices -- and I love the thought and creativity I need to put into providing my clients with the best legal protections possible given a legal framework that never thought of so many possibilities for creating and defining "family." So there you have it -- the kids are in the yard, my e-mail is stacking up, I have to go to court but I have a party to go to later -- I guess it's summer! Wishing you all a wonderful summer, from waldlaw....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home