Waldlaw Blog

Thursday, May 19, 2005

marriage equality or equal rights for unmarried couples?

The fight is on for marriage equality, and let me be clear about my position on the issue: lesbian and gay couples absolutely deserve the right to marry. But in my not-so-humble opinion, all couples (LGBT and straight) also deserve the right not to marry, and to have their relationships and families taken seriously nonetheless. I mean, come on folks -- I grew up in the '60's and '70's, was a women's studies major in college (with Honors, I might add!), and now I'm supposed to act like marriage is the equivalent of nirvana? Well, I just can't do it. So when the case comes up, as it is in the California Supreme Court next week, where a country club is denying privileges to unmarried couples that they provide to married couples -- my response is "sue the bastards," but NOT because they are discriminating against lesbians and gay men, who are denied the right to marry -- I say "sue the bastards" for discriminating against all unmarried couples, gay and straight. Let's fight for relationship recognition that includes the wonderful variety of relationships that exist in the world; not pick one "right" way of having relationships and then fight to get into the club. Okay, I admit it, I'm an old feminist. But hey, at least I'm honest about it....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home